Oyate Teca Project is a non-profit organization, in operation since 1991, whose goal is to promote the well-being of children and families on Pine Ridge Reservation through effective programs and activities.
Oyate Teca Project is located in Kyle and also serves as the administrative office for four subprojects located in Allen, Porcupine, Manderson, and Wanblee.
There are over 400 families enrolled in Oyate Project, with newborn to 18-year-old children, and they are offered a wide variety of programs including:
- Early Childhood Development Home/Center Based Program – This is an ongoing program that works with children and parents to promote learning and interactive skills through home visiting and monthly “make-and-take-crafts” sessions.
- After School and Summer Programs – These have been developed for the youth to help sustain their future goals and include: After School Tutorial Club, Teen Mentoring Club, Arts & Crafts Club, Nature Club, Chef’s Club, Recreational Club, and Bookworm Club.
- Lakota Culture Program – This summer program provides discovering-your-heritage activities as well as traditional arts and crafts, Lakota song and dance, storytelling, and preparing traditional foods activities.
- Collaborations with local organizations and agencies – Provided for substance free activities and programs.
- Networking with subproject communities – Provides a safe environment for the youth to socialize concurrent with ongoing activities and to celebrate annual holiday festivities.
- Youth Councils – Established in all of the subprojects for those 12 to 18 years old who are encouraged to implement activities and assist in fundraising efforts.
Your donations to Oyate Teca Project are tax-deductible. To make a monetary donation, please send a check or money order made out to “Oyate Teca Project” to the post office box below. If you would like to send material donations, here is a list of needed items.
Suggested donation items (send only new items for all of these, please, with the exception of clothing and movies which may be very gently used in like-new condition):
- Arts and crafts supplies – click here for list
- Baby items
- Backpacks, duffel bags, sports bags
- Blank journals
- Christmas gifts for newborns through 18 years old (unwrapped)
- Christmas gift-wrapping supplies
- Cleaning supplies
- Clothing and winter wear for newborns through adults with a special need for men’s clothing
- Craft supplies
- Hairbrushes, combs, hair accessories
- Holiday decorations
- Kids print pillowcases
- Movies – DVD or VHS (can be used, G or PG rated only please)
- Nonperishable foods
- Paper products
- Pet food
- School supplies
- Sewing, knitting, crocheting and needlework supplies, including fabric, batting, patterns, thread, notions and sewing machines
- Shoes, flip-flops, sandals, slippers, winter boots
- Socks, underwear, and sleepwear for newborns through adult
- Sports equipment (baseball, basketball, badminton, volleyball, frisbees, balls)
- Toiletries – shampoo, deodorant, feminine hygiene, dental, and hair products, etc.
- Toys, puzzles, board games for all ages
Oyate Teca Project also works with many elders in the community. If you would like to send a donation for an elder, please include a note in your box and the Oyate Teca Project staff will see too it that your donation is distributed to an elder.
FoPRR cannot verify delivery of your boxes. When shipping your donations via U.S. Mail, please purchase delivery confirmation, or use your shipping service’s tracking system.
Please do not use Styrofoam packing material. New, large-size trash bags or flattened rolls of toilet paper serve well as padding and are usable.
Remember, if you are sending anything liquid please double wrap it and seal well in a plastic bag.
Please ship your donations via
Oyate Teca Project
Wakanyeja Okolakiciye Youth Center
1000 Youth Center Drive
Kyle, SD 57752
Oyate Teca Project
P.O. Box 316
Kyle, SD 57752
*When entering this address on Amazon orders you’ll get a message that says “This street name or number appears to be invalid.” Ignore it and continue by clicking on the “Ship to this address” button and it will accept it.
Please do not use Styrofoam packing material. New large size trash bags or flattened rolls of toilet paper serve well as padding and are usable.
Please Note: Due to the volume of donations shipped to the reservation FoPRR cannot verify delivery of your boxes. If you require confirmation of delivery, please purchase delivery confirmation from the post office or use your shipping service’s tracking system.